Tuesday, 26 January 2010
Courtesy of Artur Przybysz from KSW. Here is an interview with the Sengoku 12 middlweight title challenger:
MMA fans will soon witness another spectacular Mamed Khalidov’s fight in the Land of the Rising Sun. KSW Team fighter has recently visited Warsaw in order to undergo medical tests to do a photo shoot. Although he had a busy schedule, he found a moment for a short interview:
You are going to fight for the second time in Japan on March 7th. At first there were some talks that you will square off against Canadian Joe Doerksen. However, now you are set to rematch Jorge Santiago for the Sengoku Middleweight Title. Could you tell us a little bit how it happened?
- We were offered Doerksen bout first and I agreed to it. Then it turned out they’d rather see me fight against Santiago. I guess at the beginning Sengoku matchmakers wanted to go in different directions, because I was offered a few other opponents earlier. Finally they decided to book a rematch against Jorge. Obviously I was very eager to fight him... this time for the belt.
We all saw what happened when you first met in the ring. How will this bout unfold this time?
- Last time I didn’t know him and he didn’t know me, we just saw tapes. This time it might not be the same. He may be more cautious or I may behave differently. You cannot tell. I have a feeling that it won’t be as fast as in November. He already knows what to expect.
I really want this to end quickly with my hand raised by the referee. I’ve already started my preparations, whereas before our first fight I had only three weeks to get ready. I want to be fully prepared to win this title.
You mentioned short preparations before the first bout. Ramadan, meals only after dusk and limited training obviously didn’t help. This time will you be more comfortable coming to this rematch?
-Sure! Without a doubt I’ll better prepared than the last time. Most importantly I’ll be mentally ready knowing that I’m 100%. In October I was after Ramadan, I was out of shape with only three weeks to train. It all happened so fast, weight cutting, short time to prepare. I was wondering myself if I would be able to win. This time it’s much better.
Ok. So how will your training camp look like?
- The trainings will be certainly more precise. Everything else is in God’s hands. I hope he’ll give me this strength, this power... this thing which he always gives me!
You underwent conditioning tests in KSW lab a few days ago. How was it? Are you satisfied with your results.
- That’s right I underwent tests supervised by Michal Garnys. The results were much better than before the first fight against Santiago. I had a short break from trainings in the last two weeks, but it’s not like I wasn’t doing anything. You could see that in the test’s results.
Let’s get back to Santiago. You beat him on the ground, where he is most dangerous. Do you think that this time he may want to avoid going to ground and be willing to strike with you.
- I have no idea. Before the last bout he was saying in the interviews that he wants to stand with me and I was ready for it. It turned out that he doesn’t want to trade punches with me and decided to take me down. He made mistake and I capitalized on it. It’s doesn’t mean that the second fight will be alike, I think it might be much tougher, honestly. I just hope it will be a great show and the fans will like it.
Many fans are curious if there is clause in your contract that once you win the title, you have to sign to defend it at least once?
- First I’ll get the title, then we’ll talk about it.
To finish the interview I’d like you to ask you where will be the Sengoku Middleweight belt after March 7th? Will it stay in Brazil or come to Poland?
- Only God knows it. He trains hard and I train hard, but we both can’t predict the outcome of the fight. I think we will both do whatever it takes to be victorious.
Mamed, thanks for the interview and good luck
- Thank you and greetings to all my fans.
Interview by Artur Przybysz.
Discuss in the FORUM